1. Inflammation of the upper and lower respiratory mucosa
Mechanisms involved in sinonasal and bronchial development, inflammation, and remodeling.
2. Sense of smell in health and disease
Mechanisms involved in olfactory dysfunction (rhinitis, rhinosinusitis, septal perforation) and neurogenesis of sinonasal diseases, traumatic brain injury, and neurodegenerative (Parkinson) diseases (cell and animal models).
3. Food and drug allergy
Genetic, immunological, and biochemical mechanisms of respiratory, food, and drug allergy.
4. Glucocorticoid resistance
Mechanisms and biomarkers involved in glucocorticoid resistance of respiratory and non-respiratory diseases.
5. Aspirin and Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug (NSAID) intolerance
Mechanisms of allergy and co-factors, regulation of cyclooxygenase, leukotriene, and prostaglandins (PGE2) and their receptors.
6. Pathophysiology of eosinophils, mast cells, and basophils
Anaphylactic reactions (mastocytosis, adapter molecules in the signaling of IgE). Antiinflammatory drug effect in eosinophils and epithelial cells (corticosteroids, MP-AzeFlu, anti-PAF), and mast cell and basophils (omalizumab).
7. Skull base tumours
Impact of skull base tumours in quality of life and olfaction. Different surgical approaches.